The History of
Detroit Tool Metal Products
We have been an ISO 9002 supplier since 1994, were ISO 9001:2000 certified in 2003, TS/ISO 16949:2009 certified in 2011 and remain current with all of our certifications.
We provide metal manufacturing services to the heavy duty class 8 truck market, the agriculture market, the appliance industry, and the light duty class 5-6 truck markets.
Our facilities currently house 200,000 square-feet of manufacturing space, which enables us to execute large metal manufacturing runs.
Partnership suppliers of DTMP include: John Deere, PACCAR (Peterbilt and Kenworth), and Caterpillar.
Customers of DTMP include: Thomas Bus, AM General, DRS Technologies, American Railcar, and NACCO.
DTMP was formed in 1947 as Laclede Metal Products Company. It was located on South Jefferson Street in Lebanon, MO, until in 1952 the company moved nearby to its present location at 949 Bethel Road.
DTMP was originally founded to manufacture pole line anchors for the Jasper Blackburn Company (a discontinued operation). In 1955, DTMP began building replacement mufflers. DTMP's universal muffler concept was introduced in the early 1960's and became known as the Golden Line Muffler. The Garden Maid division, which was located in what today is DTMP's metal welding shop, began with six employees in 1975. Garden Maid produced soil blenders and electric tillers. In the process, DTMP became regionally renowned as a contract metal stamping and fabrication plant with the additional capabilities of welding, assembling and painting of metal parts.
DTMP had a 55,000 square-foot expansion in 1995. In 1997, DTMP purchased its Light Press Facility, which added an additional 30,000 square-feet of manufacturing space. DTMP was acquired in 2001 by an investment group consisting of four of its managers and is strategically expanding its metal manufacturing operations.